The Beast Trail Run is back, 50km of tough Table Mountain trails!
Catering for seasoned, fit trail runners, The Beast will offer entrants 50km of spectacular scenery within the Table Mountain National Park. This is without a doubt the toughest 50Ks in South Africa!
The 50km is a UTMB qualifier!
Endurance points: 3 points
Mountain level: 8
Finisher level: 400
Race Number Collection
COMPULSORY Race Briefing, Coffee and number collection @ 6am at Old Zoo, UCT
Start and Finish at Old Zoo, UCT
DO NOT bring: HEADPHONES, Dogs, Flu or litter.
Water Points (2016, subject to change)
– the mountain water is drinkable, if available. Definite water at:
Two Compulsory stops for gear check! First at the start and secondly at the Woodhead Reservoir.
50km Beast: 7:00am
30km ‘Mini’ Beast: 7:30am
The minimum age for the The Beast Trail Run is 18 years.
Entry Fees (non refundable)
Route Description (2016)
• Starting from The Lion’s Den at the Old Zoo next to UCT, both routes kick off with a gentle uphill warm up, past Mount Pleasant and into Newlands Forest.
• Following the Newlands forest jeep tracks on to the Orchards Trail, the route passes the Woodcutters ruins and enjoys kilometres of beautiful forest and streams as it meanders up to Woodcutter track.
• Newlands Ravine is used to access the Contour Path which leads us to the Leg Busting ascent awaiting at Nursery Ravine.
• On top, the upper mountain trails pass the dams, descending into Echo Valley, then following the Boardwalks to the Summit at McClears Beacon.
• From this high point following the front face trail, the 30km descends the notorious Platteklip Gorge; whilst the 50km continues through the Valley of the Red Gods and onwards to Corridor Ravine : A pleasant descent down the 12 Apostles with breathtaking views of the coast line, Lion’s Head and Robben Island in the distance.
• The pipe track is comparatively easy , but has a sting in the tail with a steep assent up to Kloof corner.
• Back on the Upper Contour path with iconic views of the city, the 30km and 50km rejoin near the end of Platteklip Gorge.
• Heading towards the King’s Block House, Saddle Path presents a steep ascent leading up to Middle Traverse before a gnarly scramble down the ridge line.
• The 50km does a final loop past the Queens Block House, following the Devil’s Peak Jeep Tracks whilst the 30km heads through the Stile and down the Steps, before rejoining the 50km just above Rhodes Memorial.
• Both routes pass UCT ,finishing back at The Old Zoo.
More information: energyevents.co.za/event/beast-trail-run-2017/
Lion’s Den at the Old Zoo, Cape Town
|Address||Old Zoo Parking, Table Mountain|